The word "patootie" holds fond memories for me as my dignified and gentlemanly next door neighbor used to call his beloved 20 years younger Belgian wife "my sweet patootie".
I loved those two and, as a child, spent as much time in their home as I was allowed to spend. They were my second parents. He gave me away at my wedding and she planned and held our wedding reception in their garden.
They were both my sweet patooties though I'd never have dared to speak to my elders with such familiarity (hugs were OK, though).
One online dictionary and an online etymology dictionary say the word "patootie" is perhaps a corruption of "potato" as in sweet potato.
8 Comments:
At 1:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
I wish i could draw like that!
At 5:15 AM,
Anonymous said…
Maria, What a wonderfully fun portrait! She's absolutely precious and you've done a marvelous job.
Ronda
At 5:20 AM,
Anonymous said…
As I came down, she jumped off the page with excitement, Those eyes. She is truly a cutie patootie. Well down.
Sandi
At 5:25 AM,
Anonymous said…
Wonderful, Maria! and what a good job you did on that curly hair.
How is your mom? And how in the world did you learn the expression "cutie patootie"?
At 5:26 AM,
Anonymous said…
Skinny and Maria,
The word "patootie" holds fond memories for me as my dignified and gentlemanly next door neighbor used to call his beloved 20 years younger Belgian wife "my sweet patootie".
I loved those two and, as a child, spent as much time in their home as I was allowed to spend. They were my second parents. He gave me away at my wedding and she planned and held our wedding reception in their garden.
They were both my sweet patooties though I'd never have dared to speak to my elders with such familiarity (hugs were OK, though).
One online dictionary and an online etymology dictionary say the word "patootie" is perhaps a corruption of "potato" as in sweet potato.
Thanks for the memories, Maria.
At 5:29 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very nice Maria
At 5:30 AM,
Anonymous said…
that image is just gorgeous, nothing like the image of a happy child.
At 10:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
goooooood
Post a Comment
<< Home